Hey friends, it’s been a particularly strange and somewhat stressful month for both Fives and me. Just with health things and other stuff, it’s been full of unique challenges that hopefully will pass soon.
With that being said, I’d say the month for reading wasn’t bad overall. I’m moving steadily and had some good reads. Let’s dig into it shall we?
What have I read this month?
4-5 Drink Me Potions
Counting Down with You by Tashie Bhuiyan
- The hands down, absolute BEST own-voices story I’ve read so far this year featuring an amazing book boyfriend and familial tensions that tugged on my heartstrings for HOURS
The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna
- If you’re looking for a cool and intriguing world with surprises and excellent storytelling, this fantasy sets itself apart from the rest for sure
3 Drink Me Potions
Namesake by Adrienne Young
- A sequel that almost felt better than its predecessor, I liked the growth in character that shone through although it’s still lacking in worldbuilding in my opinion
Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson
- A hugely anticipated contemporary, I was pleasantly surprised with the depth of adventures and emotional ARCs that could transpire in just one night alone in the city – with no phone or direction
Red Tigress by Amelie Wen Zhao
- Another sequel that fit well almost as a standalone in a way as the main characters fight one smaller bad guy in anticipation of the Big Bad that is coming soon
Flamefall by Rosaria Munda
- Super angsty and full of miscommunication between love interests, if I wasn’t irritated at them at least the political system of this world always breeds deeper thought where everyone is the good guy in their own minds
Current reading list
I’ve been kinda obsessed this last week with a show I just finished and it’s been on my mind way too much to comprehend work let alone reading a book. But I will say I have at least 2 solid books I have kind of started (and should hopefully finish soon).
- The Project by Courtney Summers (yes, again because last time I put this on my list, I kind of had to return it)
- The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles
My TBR list
- What’s Not to Love by Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka
- Don’t Breathe a Word by Jordyn Taylor
- Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry by Joys Goffney
- Sunny Song Will Never be Famous by Suzanne Park
Every month, I list something that I actually don’t get to so it sticks around so much longer. Here’s hoping May will be a good reading month. There are SO many books I am excited for its release (which you can see on my next post so stay tuned!)
Happy May, everyone! Hoping it will be a better one if your April was as weird as ours.