Hello everyone! It’s officially the end of spooky season. I feel like it’s been a month long thing going on, but I can say I am looking forward to Christmas next. Is thinking about December too soon?
Anyway, this month has been a little busy at work (only going to get worse next month), but it has also been a good reading month for me.
Did I read a scary book? Yes. Did I want to continue doing so? Not really. I kinda treasure my sleep a little too much and don’t want to stay up until 5:30 in the morning to finish the book again.
What did I read this month?
As it will be evident below, I had a mediocre month wherein the books I read didn’t super impress me but I also didn’t dislike them so at least there’s that.
4-5 Drink Me Potions
Dreams Lie Beneath by Rebecca Ross (review) [ARC]
- The only outstanding read of the month, this beauty coming out in a couple of days is full of magic, curse breaking, slow burn romance and nightmares come to life. It’s sure to intrigue you after just the first few chapters.
3 Drink Me Potions
As Good as Dead by Holly Jackson (review)
- My HIGHLY anticipated trilogy conclusion, I was a little disappointed with the direction the author went with the second half of the book, particularly the ending. I loved the darker elements compared to the previous 2 books and their mysteries, but I didn’t get the closure I really wanted with these characters.
There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins (review)
- As mentioned, this is my foray into the horror genre. It reads like a slasher flick so it’s definitely in line with what it’s meant to be. Did I think there was a little bit too many unnecessary deaths? Yes. Was the ending also SUPER abrupt? Yes. But it was also a tiny bit fun?
Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo [audiobook]
- I loved the Asian representation and the deep exploration around Hong Kong, my family’s city. The audiobook was entertaining, and the romance between an ordinary guy and a giant K-pop star is definitely my kind of love story unfolding.
The Bronzed Beasts by Roshani Chokshi
- ALSO another trilogy conclusion I was anticipating, this book felt drier than the others. There was less of the expected treasure hunts and found family moments that made my heart sing. I understand everything’s wrapping up but it lacked some of the adventure I loved from the other 2 books.
They’ll Never Catch Us by Jessica Goodman
- As mysteries go, this one was still a solid story split between 2 sisters’ POVs. I loved their distinct voices and that they weren’t necessarily easily lovable with their realistic flaws. The mystery starts almost halfway through but not altogether a predictable ending.
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer [audiobook]
- Currently in a Twilight nostalgia phase and I had never read this book before for some reason. The narrator did a spot on job and I fell for Bree even though we ALL know how her story ends. A little dry in parts but creatively fills in the gaps of Eclipse.
2 Drink Me Potions
Gods & Monsters by Shelby Mahurin (review) [audiobook]
- The last trilogy conclusion I read this month, I actually had no expectations for this and yet I still didn’t love it. Some credit goes for romantic drama that actually made sense to the plot, but it was quite dry in some areas and the characters are still people I can’t stand so I think it’s just a me thing.
Current reading list
I literally am in different mid places throughout all 3 of these books and I am desperate to get these done sooner than later!
- A Psalm of Storms and Silence by Roseanne A. Brown (coming out November 2!)
- While We Were Dating by Jasmine Guillory
- A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I’m excited to finally get to these 3 reads that I keep just about to start and never quite getting to it before I have other books with higher priority to read.
- These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong (a buddy read with my friend Kaya)
- XOXO by Axie Oh
- Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles
That’s my month in a nutshell! Now it’s time to hibernate. Or… I suppose go outside and brave the cold because my cute dog has a wonderful hotdog costume to put to good use tonight.
Until November, my friends!